R.J. MacIsaac Construction Ltd.
Job Description for Heavy Truck Operator (Tractor Trailer; Dump Truck Driver):
Heavy Truck Operators-Tractor Trailer perform some and/or all of the following duties:
- Operate and drive primarily tractor trailer to float heavy equipment to land based and/or marine based construction sites.
- Operate and drive primarily tractor trailer to transport construction materials and supplies to land based and/or marine based construction sites..
Heavy Truck Operators-Dump Truck perform some and/or all of the following duties:
- Operate and drive primarily Dump Trucks to transport goods and material to and from land based and/or marine based construction sites.
- Maintain a safe operating area for safety of self, co-workers, clients and general public.
- Report any unsafe operating hazards to the project superintendent immediately.
- Conduct daily hazard assessment of immediate work area noting all hazards. Adjusting work methodology accordingly and reporting all hazards to project superintendent.
- Conduct pre-trip, en route and post-trip inspections of vehicle systems, equipment and accessories such as tires, lights, turn signals, brakes and cargo straps.
- Ensure cargo is secured properly in accordance with safety requirements and follow safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods.
- Obtain special permits and other documents required to transport cargo.
- Record cargo information, hours of service, distance travelled and fuel consumption.
- Administer bills of lading and maintain Log Book.
- Ensure equipment has adequate fuel to perform daily assignments. Notify Project Superintendent immediately in the AM if not.
- Maintain a clean cab, lubricate equipment and refill equipment fluids levels.
- Take direction from Project Superintendent on daily and weekly work plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Project Superintendent.
- Submit at the week’s end all Pre-Operational checks to Project Superintendent/Fleet Manager/Mechanic.
- Attend and participate in Weekly Tool-Box Safety meetings. Report and contribute to all safety issues.
- Submit to Project Site Superintendent/Fleet Manager/Head Office all bills of lading.
- All Pre-Trip, en route and post-trip inspection documents to Project Site Superintendent/Fleet Manager.
- Maintaining a Safety Focused Operating Culture.
- Maintains a Quality-Client Focused Operating Culture.
- Maintains a Cost Reduction and Profitability Operating Culture.
- Maintain and follow all company policies and procedures.
- Maintain positive and professional relationships with Clients, Co-Workers, Supervisors, Management and Regulatory Officials.
Personal Conduct Responsibilities:
- Maintains a positive attitude.
- Shows respect to coworkers and company structure.
- Co-operates with other Co-Workers.
- Performs position functions without supervision.
- Displays initiative in performing work functions.
- Exercises prudent judgement.
- Meets goals when personal commitment is made.
- Displays concern for Company cost control and profit contribution.
Terms of Employment:
- As per Letter of Engagement.
- Wages per Company Wage Scales.
- Brookly, NS
- President and/or Construction Site Superintendent and/or Fleet Manager
- The position has no supervisory responsibilities for direct and/or indirect reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Some High School, trade, vocational and/or technical training.
- Heavy Truck Operator Trade Certificate
- Occupational Health and Safety Certificate.
- WHMIS Training
- First Aid & CPR Certificate
- Transportation of Dangerous Good Training
- Drivers License (Class 1 or 3) with Air Brake endorsement.
- 5 to 10 years preferred.
- Tractor Trailor and/or Dump Truck experience.
- Floating Equipment on Low Bed Trailers and/or tag Trailers, Transporting cargo on open trailers.
- Over-Dimensional and/or Over-weight experience.
- Cleaning and Maintaining Equipment.
- Reading Blueprints and Specifications is beneficial.
- Maintaining Log-Books.
- Clean Driving Record and Abstract.
- Clear Criminal Record Check and Abstract.
- Ability to travel and Work Out-Doors in a Marine Environment.